Training for teachers
In Italy and in Romania, RFK Europe has signed Memorandums of Understanding with both Ministries of Education, in order to distribute the educational booklet “Speak Truth To Power” in high schools and to train teachers on the use of the booklet.
The booklet’s strong point is its versatility: it can be used in a variety of different academic subjects.
Some of the subjects were teachers have used “Speak Truth To Power” in Italian schools include:
- Foreign Languages: most websites and recommended readings in the booklet are in the languages of the European Union;
- History: the brief human rights timeline traces the steps of the history of mankind, from the Hammurabi code (2100 b.C.) to current days;
- Philosophy: the Universal Declaration of Human Rights is the result of meditations that reflect philosophical traditions from Plato to Hannah Arendt;
- Economy: “Speak Truth To Power” faces issues such as multinational corporate responsibility, child labor and microcredit;
- Religion: the defense of human rights relates to the spirituality and sensitivity of each individual;
- Literature: many teachers have used the booklet with students to analyze “human rights violations” that occur in Italian literature.
Teach Truth To Power
The first “Teach Truth To Power” training day for trainers will take place on April 23rd 2010, organized in collaboration with the University of Pisa.
For further information, click here.
rfkcenter: Great article! RT @seanjcoughlan Human-rights training centre opens in Florence, teaching digital activists. http://t.co/JlUdA65A8T
rfkcenter: Archbishop Emeritus, Most Rev Michael Kpakala Francis gave refuge to the war weary & hope to a nation http://t.co/yNoauQdBq9 #liberia
rfkcenter: Archbishop Francis was a man of extraordinary courage using the pulpit to criticize the abuses of Liberia’s dictators http://t.co/yNoauQdBq9
rfkcenter: Statement on the Passing of 1999 RFK #HumanRights Award Laureate Archbishop Francis http://t.co/yNoauQdBq9 #RFKawards #liberia #monrovia